Precarity is the one of the most important phenomena of the neoliberal globalisation process. Evolution of the precarity is an attack on stability and certainty of employment, basic labour rights (adequate payment, the right to organize in the place of employment, protection from excessively long working time, protection from sacking) and the whole social security system (the access to retirement insurance, health care and unemployment security system). Increasing number of temporary employees, and decreasing scope of labour rights security is now one of the most serious challenge for labour and leftist movements. The aim of this debate is exchanging of opinions on the problems connected with precarity at work in each country and working out the common strategy of resistance.
In Poland there was The Fifth All-Polish Labour Conference on th problem of precarity at work - organized together by CK-LA and WI (Workers Initiative) which had taken place in June 2006. That was the first stage of our works on this topic (the analysis and the critisism of the phenomenon). Right now we work on the campaign on this matter - that means, we would like to iniciate the practical activities. Within this campaign we want to organize, on the regular basis:
- information actions - presentation of our critisism of the precarity at work
- support for the temporary workers in their conflicts with the employers (demonstrations and pickets, the law assistance, organization of the boycott actions)
- the actions of bringing pressure on the public authorities to force them to equalize the position of the part-time labourers and the full-time labourers
WI and CK-LA decided that they both will start those acivities this year. The campaign is to hold all precarity forms like: part - time work contracts, Temporary Work Agencies, self employment and contracts made out of labour law.
Our position is, that those above mentioned local activities we plan to undertake in Poland should be wide undertake across Europe, too. We know that many organizations who take part in I 07 conduct similar works in their contries (like friends from spanish CGT).
I 07 is indeed a great opportunity to coordinate our struggle in the european or global scale. That's why we propose starting the across Europe organized campaign against the Temporary Work Agencies in the end of 2007 year.
During the debate on this problem we would like to talk about:
- the situation of temporary labourers in each contry (how big is the scope of precarity at work? In which branches is this applied the most often? What are similarities and what are the dissimilarities in each contry law regulations?
- experiences of struggle against precarity of work in each country (technics and methods of struggle)
- plan of campaign against Temporary Work Agencies